Topic: Who's seen it? What did you think?

Ok, I admit, I became a little sad at seeing this topic go on without posts.

So, who's seen "Fuyu no Semi" or, as English-speakers know it, "Winter Cicada"?

How did you see it? Did you know the Logo channel in the US sometimes shows it?

What did you think?

I've only been able to watch the movie in bits and pieces, even though I own the "Winter Cicada" DVD. I think if I watched it all the way through, I'd be depressed for weeks.

love, lore

Re: Who's seen it? What did you think?

lore wrote:

I think if I watched it all the way through, I'd be depressed for weeks.

You know, since the first time I watched the whole movie (on dvd), since the first day, I have a depression somewhere hidden in my head. It comes out everytime I think of Fuyu. It's a virus^^ and you have to live with it I think *haha*
But at the same time it's the best movie EVER!!! Of course it has to be the best *sensei* wink
It's half the most positive and beautiful and half the most painful and saddest.
But everytime I watch it the tears are running and won't stop^^
I think I can't handle such feelings *pain in the head*
But it is still my favorite movie beside all the disturbing things.
SENSEI YOUR AWESOME !!

IWAKI & KATO
LOVE ABOVE ALL
TOGETHER FOREVER

Well, that's what I thought at the begining, until I knew Iwaki-kun, Katou-kun and Asano-kun were their reincarnations big_smile

Arigatou gozaimashita, sensei wink

Support gay marriage!!

And more importantly... invite me to the wedding!!

you know once i read the winter cicada manga i never wanted to watch the ova. both are just the same. after reading manga i was very upset and i had to do something else to forget about it so don't want to experience the same pain after watching ova.

I love the movie, and own it. In fact, I rewatch it fairly frequently and find new beauty in it with each viewing.

For me, it is extremely moving and exquisitely beautiful, and not truly depressing. I understand the characters and their feelings, and relate it all to their later incarnations, knowing that they will find the full, true love they are seeking as Iwaki and Katou--that they will become "Cicadas in Summer", as it were.

Perhaps because I am a Buddhist, I see the movie as only one strand in their story. The pain and ignorance in the world means that life is often much more unhappy that it needs to be--that is Iwaki's and Katou's dilemma--and ours.  We are all Cicadas in Winter, in some sense or other, waiting for the flowering of our true Selves. MHO.

Last edited by weavrmom (2010-07-11 02:35:31)

weavrmom wrote:

I love the movie, and own it. In fact, I rewatch it fairly frequently and find new beauty in it with each viewing.

For me, it is extremely moving and exquisitely beautiful, and not truly depressing. I understand the characters and their feelings, and relate it all to their later incarnations, knowing that they will find the full, true love they are seeking as Iwaki and Katou--that they will become "Cicadas in Summer", as it were.

Perhaps because I am a Buddhist, I see the movie as only one strand in their story. The pain and ignorance in the world means that life is often much more unhappy that it needs to be--that is Iwaki's and Katou's dilemma--and ours.  We are all Cicadas in Winter, in some sense or other, waiting for the flowering of our true Selves. MHO.

I think the more you understand the story, the background, the feelings and thoughts of the characters,why they are acting the way they act and make their decisions, the more beautiful and less painful and devastating the movie becomes. I needed some time to understand and know all that and that's why, for me, the movie was more shocking, sad and unsettling/destructing than any other possible "positive" feeling. Now I understand them and can watch the movie with a new understanding and how it portrays an unlucky situation which can happen to everyone. But the most precious person in the world for you is what urges you to do everything possible to be able to be together and when you see that the present circumstances won't allow you to do so no matter what you try, then, you still don't give up. Together, and that's what true love for each other means, you seek for another way or time to finally be able to share a life where just the two of you can be happy. Also when it means you have to compromise like Akizuki and Kusaka who didn't have any other change but to end their life - one life, two poeple - in order to make their dream come true....

IWAKI & KATO
LOVE ABOVE ALL
TOGETHER FOREVER

Even though it's sad the story has it's own beauty to it. it's sad and beautiful at the same time.

Last edited by Yei (2010-07-12 00:07:17)

I bought the dvd and I thought it was a beautiful story. But yes, it is sad, and I was teary-eyed by the end, and I've only watched it once so far compared to several times for the regular Embracing Love dvd. But I probably will go back and watch it again sometime.

As tragic as it is, it helps to know that Kusaka and Akizuki get a second chance as Iwaki and Katou. (I think I read somewhere that I&K are supposed to be their reincarnations?) Or to think of it as Iwaki and Katou's "movie." I think I'm also able to be a little more philosophical about it since I'm a samurai drama buff, and so many of those shows--especially ones set in this time period--tend to end in tragedy.

I have seen it twice and loved it! It was so sad and touching. sad I loved the theme "Fuyu no Semi" and I am happy that they were together until the end.

Question: Do you think there was a posibility for this story to have a different ending? Which one?

Support gay marriage!!

And more importantly... invite me to the wedding!!

tsukigalleta wrote:

Question: Do you think there was a posibility for this story to have a different ending? Which one?

so do i!

I don't know why, but I don't think I can read or watch Winter Cicada just yet. I watched the OVAs and I also think I've read the manga version once, but since then I haven't touched it at all. It's not that I didn't like them, in fact I loved them, the art is marvelous, the story is so moving and all, but I just can't. I'll gladly get both the manga and the OVAs when I have the chance but I can't bring myself to go back to them now that I know how it's going to end, it's so sad~

I don't think I won't read or watch it ever again, though. I just keep telling myself to avoid it for as long as I can because I don't want to cry Kousaka and Akizuki a river all over again!!! I've never had these complicated feelings about any other work, be it Youka Nitta or any other sensei. The feelings Youka Nitta's works have made me go through are so unique and take me by surprise all the time and that's PRICELESS.

Last edited by LuluChan92 (2012-06-17 02:18:34)

I read it, but I don't think I can watch it. I would be afraid of bursting in tears the whole time heh. Mostly as you know the ending. Won't be long until that fear is overcome though, there also is an urge to see it all in colour and motion smile.

this is the first work of Youka Sensei i 've seen. Can you figure that? I couldn't fall asleep for three days, because i was so obsessed by the romantic tragedy of these two young men. But now i don't think it is a tragedy any more. If the couple of love die when they love each other so intensely, they could be together forever and their love would live on for good. That kind of pure, perfect and immaculate love might never exist in our real world. In the real world where i am living now, i have witnessed and experienced all sorts of broken relationship over and over again, which makes me disappointed with the human love. Maybe that is why i am so involved and mesmerized by such touching love legend.

Last edited by musketeer (2012-11-23 07:20:37)